Pagine

The Blue House in the Circle


0 comments

Five years ago last weekend I graduated from the College of Charleston. That next day I began raising support for Campus Outreach, a college ministry. Little did I know what the past five years would bring. Once I reached full support  I headed to Charleston to serve at Charleston Southern University. After that first year I learned a lot about myself. Each day I went on the campus and tried my hardest. I had no idea what I was doing. That next year the Lord was so gracious to provide a house for us to do ministry.  The Blue House in the Circle. The past four years this house has been a home for many. I do not even remember who all has lived with me. In the beginning of this some told me I was crazy and I often wondered if they were right. The door has always been open to students from the university, so the number of people who have walked through our doors is only counted from the tracks in the carpet.

My excitement and prayer from the beginning was that this would be a place for the gospel to go forth. And as I sit and think over the past four years I do believe the Lord did so much more than I could have asked or imagined. I get teary eyed thinking of the all conversations that started at the table and ended on the couch which was usually followed by a movie. The many bible studies, discipleship groups, or individual times in the Word. In our old house students came in and left with at least a seed of the gospel planted.  Our back yard has been used for ministry events from student birthdays, Halloween, super bowl parties to sleep overs. Students decided to follow Jesus right there in the midst of everything else going on. I pray that the seeds that were planted in that house will continue to grow and that the ones who follow us as new renters will continue the legacy that was began.

As I sat in my room and continued to pack my belongings the tears began to flow for yet another time. As I say good bye to this house I am so sad. I feel like I am saying goodbye to so much more.. and I am. Moving out is yet another reality that Campus Outreach will no longer be ministering to students at CSU. I feel like I'm leaving part of my family behind. I also, for the probably the first time in four years, have been able to sit at the feet of Jesus and just say "thank you". I naturally have a Martha spirit 75% okay maybe 90% of the time. So just to be Mary and sit with Jesus and reflect on all that the Lord has done has been so refreshing. My heart is full of gratitude and overflowing with joy. I am so thankful the Lord saw it fit for me to serve students at CSU and so thankful the Lord graciously provided me and my students a place to gather. A place where I could serve my people. A place were we could be with Jesus together. A place where I could be me. Most of all I am so thankful for this season where the Lord has forced me to slow down and just glory in the cross. A season where I have no idea what is going on in the future yet I look back with gladness and forward with laughing.  A season were I must be dependent on Jesus because I've come to realize my independence will get me no where.

The blue house was a sweet place but today I'm looking to the future without fear and claiming the goodness, sovereignty, and provision of my Jesus.

Martha, Martha, you are anxious about many things, but one thing is necessary. Mary has chosen the good portion, which will not be taken away from her.                  Luke 10:41-42


No comments:

Post a Comment