Pagine

the most wonderful time of the year


1 comments
This Christmas my eyes have been lifted. My prayer has been for my heart to notice others. To see outside of myself. It's been a sweet Advent reading through Old Testament stories and seeing Jesus. Because is there a better way to see outside of yourself than to look to Jesus?? 

As I have looked up one thing I've noticed is that maybe this isn't the most wonderful time of the year for many people. This season brings added stress and pressures from the world. You need the perfectly decorated house. The sweetest new cookie recipe. The lists of gifts to buy and stores to visit are endless. The realization that you want what you don't have and can't afford.  Oh and don't forget that your presents need to be wrapped in matching gift wrap with bows and gift tags. The world puts expectations on Christmas that were never meant to be there. No wonder so many people are putting on fake smiles and pretending their credit limit doesn't exist. 

I sat at a traffic light this week and watched a lady cry. She was so broken and I honestly have no idea why... but I hurt for her. She has no idea I noticed and her and has no idea that she helped me see truth.  Life brings so many different sorrows each day and this doesn't stop because it's Christmas. Instead of pretending we are joyful or trying to keep up with our cultures definition of Christmas what if we were real. Real with ourselves, real with each other, and real with Jesus. Be broken because life sometimes stinks yet be joyful because Jesus came to redeem you. This season should be the most wonderful time of the year not because of the things you give or the things you get, but because we are reminded of Jesus who came to call us to himself and to give us an eternal hope.  

Christmas time can bring so many different things to people. In the past week I've seen new life and i've also seen death. A new life that has an opportunity to glory in God and an ended physical life only to enter in eternal life with Jesus. You have a family rejoicing in the miracles of God and another family mourning the loss of a mother, a grandmother, a wife. Sorrowful yet always rejoicing. 

Life continues in and through the month of December. The hustle and bustle just may be a waste. I don't want my life to be defined by the world. And I definitely don't want the celebration of  my Savior's birth to be defined by a culture that has drifted from Truth. So a redefining of "the most wonderful time of the year" must occur. Instead of more shopping may I pray more for those who I know are hurting. Instead of trying to decorate every part of my home may I consider how to decorate the hearts and lives of those who are in need. Instead of making a wish list may a be thankful for what has already been given. Instead of living out of a false joy found in a false hope in Santa may I be a happy little creature sitting in the realities of life wrapped in the redeeming grace of Christ. 

May we all be reminded of Jesus this Christmas. May this season be wonderful! A wonderful time of realness looking to the eternal glory to come where every day will be like Christmas as we dwell with the one we celebrate! May the world see your joy in Christ and desire the eternal joy found in His grace!


Behold, now is the favorable time; behold, now is the day of salvation.  We put no obstacle in anyone's way, so that no fault may be found with our ministry,  but as servants of God we commend ourselves in every way: by great endurance, in afflictions,hardships, calamities,  beatings, imprisonments, riots, labors, sleepless nights, hunger; by purity, knowledge, patience, kindness, the Holy Spirit, genuine love;  by truthful speech, and the power of God; with the weapons of righteousness for the right hand and for the left;  through honor and dishonor, through slander and praise. We are treated as impostors, and yet are true;  as unknown, and yet well known; as dying, and behold, we live; as punished, and yet not killed;  as sorrowful, yet always rejoicing; as poor, yet making many rich; as having nothing, yet possessing everything.     
2 Corinthians 6:2b-10

1 comment: